Sunday, February 21, 2010

Don't pay the ransom...

Controlled chaos.

That's the best description I can give you with any clarity at all concerning the past month of my life.

So just in case you were putting together a ransom for my release, never mind, I have escaped. Save the money for future needs or give it to the Red Cross.

My neighbors are probably wondering just what the heck is going on with my schedule. Seems the powers that be have decided to put all of the maintenance personnel on a rotating 12-hour shift to assist our production folks with minimum down time. And the best way to do that is put everyone on shift.

I would like to go on record and say....I pretty much hate the night shift.

With a passion. Hate it.

Cannot sleep during the day. Sunlight equates with being up and around, doing things that require natural illumination that comes from the sun.

Sleeping ain't one of the things I do naturally during broad daylight.

The saving grace with the shift assignment is this. It's temporary since the business is soon to cease operations and become a parking lot for no one to use.

Bittersweet? In a way. I have now celebrated 20 years with the chemical industry giant and will move along down the road to the next assignment. Not sure exactly what it might be, I am leaving that selection to the process that supersedes all understanding.

I was blessed with the opportunity of a 2-week call through my local union hall referral system a little over twenty four years ago which developed into a permanent hiring situation that carried me to the celebration just last Friday. February 19, 2010. The Good Lord guided me down the path and had me where I needed to be to get the job then, and I reckon He can do it again. The least I can do is put it all in His hands again...cause I will just mess it up if I try and help.

Twenty four years I have been driving the 13 mile distance. From my driveway to the plant site. Seen lots of knuckleheads who drive way worse than others. Saw one guy reading his newspaper while driving one morning. He had the paper folded just right and laying on the steering wheel with the dome light just a shining away for him. Stayed in front of him for the duration of the trip.

Not sure when the last day will be for me and my little chemical plant. We haven't been told exactly other than the final day of production is slated for March 31st, this year. But there is still the task to clear up and de-energize the unit for demolition. No one currently working with us has ever...EVER been associated with an adventure like this, so the learning curve is just that, to be learned.

You may wonder what it is that we make out there behind the chain link fence...and then you might not care. I figure if you have read this far, there's a chance you probably are a little bit teensy weensy interested. Am I right?

You ever wore sneakers? That brand that has a 'swish' on the side? Our product went into the soles of those shoes. How about snowshoes? The bindings on your snowshoes is made from our special blend.

Spark plug wires on your car or truck...got the insulation mixed up with our stuff. Hoses and belts on your vehicles are blended with our little touch of magic. Roofing materials. That stuff that keeps your head dry when it rains, that's our stuff.

The tourist center at the Space Center near Houston, Texas...has a roof made from our product. It really is a pretty versatile combination of stuff...and it's only been around for about 52 years.

But the time has come for our company to 'exit' the business and cease operations. Putting about 80 some odd folks out of work. Actually, some of the people are a bit more 'odd' than others, but I won't go there just now. I still have to work with some of 'them'.

Like always, I thank you folks for stopping by. Would love to hear what you think about my rants and ravings, or even how you found this spot in the first place. Take care and may the Good Lord take a liking to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment