Friday, July 10, 2009

Which one are You?

Listener or Talker.

Which are you? A listener or a talker? Do people seek you out to share their problems with or are you the one that is constantly in need of an ear?

I suppose that we all are a little of both. Everyone needs to vent from time to time and we should be kind enough to lend an ear when needed. That's only fair, don't you think?

Who do you vent to? Your spouse? A co-worker? Close friend or acquaintance. Does it depend on the subject as to whom you want to talk to? Yeah, now we're getting there.

It really depends on who can relate to your situation doesn't it? You sometimes want some feedback or maybe a little guidance and you will bend the ear of that person you feel can assist you in the journey.

But if you are looking for someone to just let it all out on and hear your head rattle, you know who to go to, right? Yeah, I thought so.

We all have those type of people in life. Being parents, we hope that our children will come to us with their troubles, unless of course being the parent IS the problem.

No matter the situation, I have tried to teach my children that any situation can be worked through if you ask. There will always be someone to ask for help. Be it situations at school with friends, classmates, or the neighborhood bully.

I had a revelation once when my son asked me about something and was wondering how he was going to get through it. My reply was something like, well you know, I don't remember ever being faced with this particular situation as a boy, and that he was the learning curve since I had not raised a son through those waters either.

Basically what I learned that day, it's okay to tell your kids that you don't know but will stand with them all the way through it....and the answer was good enough for him.

I also believe that it's okay for your children to see how you handle life's struggles, so that maybe if and when they face their own down the road, they just might remember how mom or dad handled themselves.


Todays world offers a wide variety of challenges. There are new hurdles for us every single day. Many of which are being faced by our friends, neighbors, and family members.

Like being unemployed. Without work. Un-busy at making money.

Our corporate office made the decision to 'exit' the business of the product our small production unit produces.

Fancy arrangement of words to say we are shutting you down.

The shock from the initial annoucement has now worn off, the dust is settling and the final sunset will occur sometime in the next several months.

Questions abound all around and the usual people that hear our queries, now have their own set of questions. Lots of asking, not a lot of answers.

We are expected to continue with our day to day activities here at the job site like the announcement was nothing more than the usual monthly production schedule notice.

As my daughter was preparing for life outside of our home, I kept after her to learn a skill that would support her and not be dependent on another individual. She has made her mother and I so very proud and is currently living comfortably on her own.

Way to go Laci.

Now I face the same challenge with my son who will be a freshman in high school this coming fall. Decisions will need to be made to chart his course in life. Medical field, construction, civil work, or information technology; it's going to be his choice.

I know that things will work out for me, my family, and our immediate future. The Good Lord brought me to this point by allowing me to get started in this direction some 34 years ago.

The main thing is this...I need to quit talking and start listening to Him for the guidance I know He will give me. He knows my needs even before I speak them...

I need to increase my quiet time to hear Him speak.

I must become a listener.

2 comments:

  1. We all need to be better listeners for His guidance. Also, I've been known to pray for signs that I am going in the right direction.The answers from Him come in all kinds of ways if you are conscience of what to look for. It might be the right words from a perfect stranger, something on t.v. that brought information, sitting and gazing at water or a fireplace or in a garden I find the direction that leads me down the path He has for me. Keep listening and looking for the blessings God has in store for you. I assure you they will come. God is unfailing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Brother Chambers. Be still and know.

    Jaison

    ReplyDelete